Benefits of using a Slant Board
- Vision – The use of a slant board when reading may reduce eye strain. Because the text is at a consistent angle, the child does not need to continually refocus.
- Increased Oxygen to the Brain – A slouched body position leads
to decreased circulation and inefficient breathing.
- Decreased Neck Strain, Decreased Vertebral Compression – Writing or reading on a flat surface promotes an unbalanced posture (see picture 1) this can cause increased torque, force and compression of the intervertebral disks of the spine.
- Writing – The angle of the slant board promotes better shoulder, arm and hand position for writing and drawing. The paper is closer, making it easier to see and reach, the wrist is in flexion using the right amount of muscle force to hold a pencil.
- Improved attention - The board defines a work space for the student bringing the work which needs attention closer and helping the student distinguish it from distraction which might be around it.
As a result of the interest these boards have generated, the Burdettes are offering them to the public for $60. Each board includes the removable ledge, clip & dry erase board. This is a REALLY good price for a sturdy board like this. And as a bonus you get to support a new small local business venture which is part of the Integrated Learning Connections small business network (not an "official" organization, just term for my personal network of friends providing services to children through home-based businesses).
For more information or to place an order contact
Burdette Learning Resources
kristenhjln AT yahoo DOT com